Love the sun but not the tan? Here’s what you do
There is no better way to get our required dose of Vitamin D than basking in the sun! But long hours in the summer heat doesn’t do well for our skin. Applying sunscreen is already a well-established skincare must, but even that can’t prevent the unwanted tanning. Cue ways on how to remove tan! Want to know? Let’s read on.
There’s a difference between sunburn and tan
When the sun shines, it also emits Ultra-Violet rays which are a form of electromagnetic radiation. This kind of radiation can be harsh on the skin.
How these rays affect your body and face depends on the colour of the skin. People who have very fair or Caucasian skin will get sunburnt. This is due to the lack of melanin on the skin.
People who have medium to deep skin will get either tan or ashy. The chances of getting sunburnt is less. This is because medium to deep skin tones have high levels of melanin. In simpler terms, melanin is the skin’s defence mechanism to protect it from UV rays as much as possible.
Before we go on the hunt for the perfect skincare products and remedies on how to remove tan, it’s important to know how to protect your skin from the sun and the harsh UV rays.
How does sunscreen play a vital role?
There’s a notion that sunscreen needs to be applied only on hot summer days when the sun is at its peak. However, this is a myth! The sun shines everyday whether its sunny bright or gloomy. That is why dermatologists always recommend applying sunscreen every day.
You may have read on sunscreen packaging about SPF. What is that? SPF is the short form for Sun Protection Factor. This denotes to how much protection from UV rays and sun it provides. SPF can range from 15 to 75. The two most ideal SPF broad spectrums are 30 and 50. SPF 30 is ideal when the weather is gloomy or if you’re sitting indoors in front of a huge window. SPF 50 ensures maximum sun protection for when you’re out and about in the sun. If you’re pairing a moisturizer with your SPF, try the Simple Kind To Skin Protecting Light Moisturiser that has SPF 15.
Why applying sunscreen is a holy grail skincare step?
- Applying sunscreen gives you optimum protection from the sun for a good 3-4 hours depending on the weather conditions.
- Since it acts as a protective layer against the sun, this also delays premature ageing of the skin. When the sun hits your skin, it depletes it of natural nutrients due to the harsh UV rays.
- Say goodbye to sun spots and acne scars! With consistent usage of sunscreen, it will increase the speed of skin healing, thereby reducing suns spots and acne marks.
- To give the above concept a boost, applying ingredients like vitamin C and niacinamide at night will give your skin the perfect amount of time to heal and become restored. In the morning, make sure to apply a good layer of sunscreen to keep the skin protected as the ingredients previously mentioned tend to make skin more prone to the sun.
Helpful sunscreen hacks:
- Always apply sunscreen 15-20 minutes before stepping out in the sun. This way, your skin has the time to properly absorb the product and create a barrier against sun rays.
- If you want to prevent your sunscreen from giving you a white cast, mix in 1-2 drops of a darker foundation or a liquid/cream bronzer.
- Reapply sunscreen every 2-3 hours depending on how long you are out in the sun. If you stay indoors for the majority of the day, you need not do this.
- Choose a sunscreen that matches your skin type. If you’re on the dry side, go for a cream-based sunscreen and if you have oily skin, choose one that is gel-based.
How to remove tan from face?
- Opting for gentle techniques is always the way to go since your skin may already be facing irritation or stress from the tan. Go for a gentle face scrub made with scrubbing beads/particles that are either smooth or finely milled.
- Do a face scrub only once or twice a week. Damp your face and with soft circular motions, scrub away the tan and dead skin cells.
- Before choosing a scrub, do your research and choose a brand that majority of users vouch for. You need to be sure that what you’re applying to your face is safe and effective.
- Once your scrubbing routine is done, follow it up with a soothing face lotion or aloe vera gel that will calm and cool your skin.
- Choose scrubs that are too rough or coarse. This will only contribute to skin irritation.
- Apply baby oil or coconut oil. The oil, when comes in contact with the sun, can scorch your skin, causing further damage.
- If you’re choosing a day to do your scrubbing routine, do not apply the following on the same day:
- Actives like AHAs, BHAs or PHAs
- Chemical peels
- Vitamin C based skincare
The above mentioned ingredients are potent that your freshly scrubbed skin is never equipped to handle. Therefore, always wait an entire day before you turn to these.
Once the time comes to treat your skin to active ingredients, do go for the following serums from the Simple serum range:
Vitamin C: boosts glow
Niacinamide: reduces pigmentation
Hemp seed: reduces inflammation
Hyaluronic acid: restores hydration
If you’re seeking for DIY hacks on how to remove tan from face, here are some tan removal home remedies you can try.
Simple tan removal home remedies
- Calm your skin with an aloe vera gel mask. A fragrance-free option would be preferrable. Apply a thick layer on your face and neck for 20 minutes before rinsing it off.
- Another homemade mask to try would be a mixture of cold curd with a pinch of turmeric added to it. This instantly cools your skin and the turmeric improves the appearance of the skin.
- A simple mixture of green tea and gram flour helps rid your skin of toxins and give a healthy glow.
- Apply highly acetic substances like orange peel extract, lemon juice or tomato juice. These are highly concentrated which could severely irritate or potentially damage your skin.
- Apply a mixture of too many ingredients at once. Since these are not regulated, you wouldn’t know how your skin would react to it.
Before we sign off, we would also want to highlight that these remedies are solely for the removal of tan brought on by the sun. These remedies and skincare advice aren’t meant to give fairness or change medium to dark complexion. We, at Simple believe that all skin colours should be celebrated.
So, flaunt your skin and keep it sun-protected!