Are you washing your face the right way? Here’s everything you need to know
Knowing how to use face wash is the most basic step in any skincare routine. It’s a simple step that ensures all dirt, grime and pollution are washed off from the pores, giving you healthy, breathable skin. But there’s more to keep in mind when choosing a face wash. Let’s find out
What is a face wash?
Face wash or face cleanser is a milder formula than soap that is meant for the skin on your face. It’s formula is made to clean off impurities without compromising the natural moisture barrier (the natural oils present on the skin)
Why use a face wash and not soap?
Soap is much harsher and not suitable for facial skin. A soap’s pH level goes between 9-10 which is too high for the face. The ideal pH level of a face cleanser is between 4.5 – 7. While soap is great to cleanse the body, a face wash is a must for the face if you want to avoid long-term skin damage and irritation.
How to use face wash?
It may seem self-explanatory but there are certain things you can keep in mind while cleansing your face. Here are a few:
- Use gentle circular motions. Try not washing your face with a heavy hand. This will lead to over cleansing, leaving your face stripped and dry.
- Wash your face for a maximum of 1 minute.
- DO NOT wash your face more than once or twice daily. Over cleansing is never healthy for the skin. It leads to irritation and sebum production.
- Know what’s your skin type and go for a face wash that’s best suited to your skin.
- Do your research on what ingredients are effective on the skin concerns you want to target.
- If you have excessive residue of makeup, sunscreen or makeup remover, you can use a half a pea size more.
- In reference to the second point, if you do wear makeup and sunscreen, then it is key to follow a double cleansing routine. You will find more on that as you read on.
Keep it simple
The main intent of using a face wash is just to cleanse the skin properly. So, look for a face wash that is mild and has a small yet effective ingredient list. A great option would be the Simple Kind to Skin Refreshing Facial Wash.
You need not always look for extra ingredients or exotic ingredients. Sure, these options do make for a skincare routine that is sensorial and feel-good, but do you need additional ingredients to maintain basic face hygiene? No. The simpler, the better.
Choose a face wash that matches your skin type or skin concern
If you have oily, acne prone skin or sensitive skin, then choose the Simple Kind to Skin Refreshing Facial Wash. This face wash is 100% soap free and fragrance free, making it a great pick for many skin types, especially oily and sensitive skin types. Its gel-based formula is perfect if your skin is extra greasy. The short ingredient list makes sure it doesn’t aggravate sensitive skin.
If you have dry skin, then a moisturising face wash is what you should be on lookout for. Moisturising face wash usually has a creamy formula that lends dry skin softness as it gets a good cleanse.
Why double cleansing is important?
If you wear makeup and sunscreen, then double cleansing should be your bible. Most makeup products and sunscreen are water resistant or waterproof. Which means, if you don’t remove your sunscreen and/or makeup with a makeup remover, then water or face wash won’t properly penetrate the pores. So, your face will still be clogged leading to skin concerns like blackheads and pimples.
Here’s how to double cleanse your face:
- Use a mild micellar water like the Simple Kind to Skin Micellar cleansing water. If you have oily skin, then choose the Simple Daily Skin Detox Oil be gone micellar water.
- Dispense some micellar water on a reusable cotton pad. With a light hand, take off all the sunscreen and makeup thoroughly.
- Use a bit more if needed.
- If you have heavy eye makeup on, then place a saturated cotton pad (with micellar water) on your eye lids for a few seconds and then gently wipe it off.
- Once the sunscreen and makeup are removed, move on to the second cleansing step with a face wash.
There you have it. Here’s the perfect guide of how to use a face wash. Always keep in mind – a clean canvas is the best canvas.