What are the best face serums for your skincare routine?
Serums have taken the skincare world by storm and they’re here to stay, thanks to their wondrous benefits and game-changing ingredients! From oily skin to dry skin and all kinds of skin types in between, every kind of skincare routine has made space for a holy grail serum or two.
As a skincare newbie, it’s understandable to feel overwhelmed by the infinite options of serums out there. But first, let’s answer two of the most pressing questions – what is a face serum and how to use face serum?
What is a face serum?
Face serum is a water-based product that’s meant to hydrate and nourish your skin. They are essentially a concentrated form of active ingredients that solely addresses a specific problem your skin has. One of the best parts of using a face serum is that it easily absorbs into the skin. On days when your skin really needs a pick-me-up, face serum becomes a vial of goodness that restores your skin and keeps skin concerns at bay. Following it up with a moisturizer and a sunscreen seals the hydration and adds a rich layer of moisture.
While the basic intent of a serum is to hydrate, there are many kinds of serums that boast different key ingredients or a mixture of them. These tackle skin concerns like:
- Sun damage
- Dark spots
- Pimple and acne scarring
Now comes the part of how to use face serum.
How to apply face serum? Here’s the complete breakdown
Learning how to apply face serum is easy. Here are two easy routines where you can incorporate it:
A Simple, two-step nighttime routine
- Choose a face serum that’s an easy start like the Simple Booster Serum with 10% Niacinamide. Did you know, Niacinamide is a very versatile ingredient that targets many skin concerns – pigmentation, dullness and acne marks.
- Take only a few drops of the serum and gently massage it into your skin. Once the serum is absorbed, use a gentle moisturizer like the Simple Kind to Skin Hydrating Light Moisturiser
The triple-layer morning routine
- A good Vitamin C serum gives your sunscreen a boost. Vitamin C, when paired with a sunscreen, helps protect skin from sun damage. If you’re a starter or someone who wants a mild Vitamin C serum, go for the Simple Booster Serum with 10% Vitamin C+E+F
- The next layer is of a face cream. Choose a mild moisturizer that does what it claims like the Simple Kind to Skin Protecting Light Moisturiser which has SPF 15. If you have really oily skin, you may skip a moisturizer and directly apply sunscreen as its emollience is enough to keep your skin nourished and moisturized.
- We cannot exaggerate this enough - Sunscreen is key! It’s what shields your skin from harmful UV rays and makes the serum and moisturizer work effectively. So, always wear SPF of 30 or 50 a few minutes before stepping out. If you are indoors and sitting in front of a big window, SPF 30 is sufficient.
We all now know that a niacinamide-based serum is a product that most skin types can use. However, if you need an extra boost to really target specific skin concerns, then here’s a simple guide to fall back on:
Oily Skin: If you want to know how to apply serum for oily skin, Vitamin C and niacinamide serums are your best bets. Another benefit of Vitamin C is that it helps regulate oil production, therefore causing less sebum/greasiness.If you want to bid adieu to acne scars, try a great duo of niacinamide serum and a multipurpose gem that is the Simple Daily Skin Detox SOS Clearing Booster. This not only reduces acne but heals scars beautifully.
- Dry Skin: If your skin is on the drier side, then you need hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid is a humectant that absorbs moisture from an immediate source. That’s why the best way to incorporate this ingredient is on a damp face. Here’s the routine breakdown:
- Sensitive Skin: Choose a serum that is mild and fragrance free like the Simple Booster Serum - 10% Hemp seed oil. The hemp seed oil present in it calms the skin and gives it a healthy glow.
So, here you have it. Serums, when paired properly and used consistently, can have great results. And all you need to keep in mind is to choose the right face serum for your skin type and concern and you will be on your way to rejoicing healthy skin.