Dark circles? Find out how you can care for your under eyes
There is no doubt that majority of us have frantically looked for solutions for how to get rid of dark circles all over the internet, in magazines and from that one ‘beauty expert’ friend. And it’s obvious that all of us are dealing with them daily – thanks to late-night internet scrolling and binge-watching latest shows.
What exactly are dark circles?
The preorbital skin or the skin on your under eyes are extremely thin and delicate. Therefore, one can easily spot blood vessels underneath the eyes. These blood vessels could either be due to having more capillaries or the ones that are present are thicker or larger.
When blood rushes to the under eye area, it expands the blood vessels, giving the appearance of dark circles.
How do you get them?
Dark circles come with lack of rest or sleep. And not just that, heredity and genetics also weigh in. External factors like stress, medical conditions, diet, smoking, etc. play a big part in causing dark circles too. So how does one tackle dark circles effectively? A healthy lifestyle is essential if you want the appearance of fresh and awake skin. In addition to this, it is also necessary to follow a good skincare regime and indulge in simple DIY home remedies for dark circles.
Another factor is skin colour. In majority cases, people with ethnic colouring (brown skin, golden and olive undertones or South Asian skin) will notice that their dark circles appear deeper (deep brown or purplish brown) than that of people with fair or Caucasian skin (dark circles appear blue or purplish blue). This is not to say that people with fair skin have it better. Dark circles affect different complexions in different ways.
Let’s get to know about how to remove dark circles.
How to get rid of dark circles?
With a busy lifestyle, unable to clock in all 8 hours of sleep is understandable. So, here are some effective skincare-based solutions on how to get of dark circles:
- Use a lightweight, concentrated undereye cream. And always use gentle massaging techniques as the skin there is super delicate.
- If you want a one-and-done solution, then choose a lightweight serum like the Simple Booster Serum - 10% Niacinamide. Niacinamide is a powerhouse ingredient that’s versatile, improving the appearance of under eyes and reducing pigmentation.
- If you don’t struggle with deep pigmentation, you can stick to your regular face moisturizer. To give it a boost, layer your under eyes with a few drops of a brightening serum like the Simple Booster Serum - 10% Vitamin C+E+F. Vitamin C is widely known to give skin a healthy glow and reduce skin fatigue.
- Want to indulge your under eyes a little more? Use a massaging tool with a steel ball. Steel based under eye rollers give your eyes a cooling effect, reducing puffiness caused by the pooling of the blood vessels under the eyes.
Home remedies for dark circles
Apart from following a consistent skincare routine, indulging in DIY solutions can also be helpful. Here are some common home remedies for dark circles:
- Ice cubes are your true calming bff that can be easily found in any kitchen. Wrap 2 ice cubes in a gentle cloth and massage your eyes in circular motions. It relieves tired eyes and helps awaken them.
- Say yes to Caffeine. Though many of us love caffeine for our system, some just don’t have the taste for it. In this case, a great way to incorporate caffeine is by using a concentrated coffee oil or using soaked tea bags. Either take a few drops of coffee oil to apply to your under eyes or take two soaked tea bags and place them on your eye area for 15-20 minutes. The caffeine content helps boost blood circulation, allowing the capillaries to shrink.
- Dark circles often leave behind pigmentation. To reduce that, a simple mixture of turmeric powder and rose helps combat any purplish-blue pigment left behind.
Above all, the best remedies you can give your under eyes are time, consistency and patience. No matter what skincare regime you choose, follow it regularly and you will see honest, effective results with time.