How do face serums benefit you? We give you the low-down
One skincare product we simply can’t get enough of is a good face serum. No matter what skin concern you have, there’s a serum that tackles any and every problem. But that’s not where face serum benefits end. There’s more to these skin-saviour vials that you will love!
So, what are the benefits of face serum? Let’s find out!
What is a face serum?
Face serum is a lightweight water-based skincare essential that targets different skin concerns. There are various kinds of serums that are made with breakthrough or game-changing ingredients like niacinamide, hyaluronic acid, vitamin C, AHAs and BHAs.
If you truly want to reap the benefits of a face serum, you must know how to choose one that matches your skin type and skin concern.
But overall, here are some face serum benefits you will notice provided you use the product consistently:
Serums for hyperpigmentation
Uneven pigmentation can be attributed to various factors such as the natural skin colouring, genetics, too much sun exposure, stressed skin or changing environment conditions. Some common areas pigmentation can occur are under your eyes, around the mouth or sometimes even on the cheeks.
Here’s where niacinamide and vitamin C serum benefits play a vital role. Niacinamide is a super versatile ingredient that suits all skin types and targets concerns like pigmentation. Go for something like the Simple Booster Serum with 10% Niacinamide.
The great thing about niacinamide is that it’s also very beginner friendly. So, if you are just starting to curate your skincare stash, give this a try.
Another popular ingredient that beauty enthusiasts just love is vitamin C. Lately, this gem has been reigning supreme in almost every category – face wash, moisturizer, eye cream and serum. That’s because Vitamin C brings with it an entourage of benefits. Some Vitamin C serum benefits are:
- It gives a juicy boost of glow that reduces dullness
- Reduces pigmentation and makes skin more even toned
One of the best ways to use Vitamin C serum is to pair it with sunscreen (not together!). Massage a few drops of the Simple Booster Serum - 10% Vitamin C+E+F. Once it’s absorbed, apply a good layer of sunscreen that of your choice.
One last thing to keep in mind about Vitamin C is that it’s very sensitive to light and air. So always store it in a dark space so that it doesn’t go rancid.
Serums that reduce acne and fades acne scarring
One of the most common issues that prevail across all skin types is acne scarring. Acne scarring is also referred to as dark spots that are left behind in the same spot where you had that pesky breakout.
In some cases, especially people with brown skin, acne scars take a while to fade. But hey, they do go away with time and the right serum. Choose a niacinamide serum. If you’re looking for a more targeted care, you can even use your niacinamide serum as a spot treatment.
A few things to keep in mind:
- Using niacinamide for a minimum of 3 weeks and a maximum of 3 months is when you see true results. So, be patient.
- If you want to expedite the fading process, sunscreen is the perfect answer. Brown skin, when exposed to sun, generate more melanin in order to give skin more protection. This process can increase the longevity of acne scars. However, using sunscreen acts a protective screen that increases the healing speed of acne scars. When you use ingredients like Vitamin C, it makes your skin even more vulnerable to sun damage. So, don’t skimp on the SPF, beauties.
Best for people with oily skin
Let’s target the root cause of acne scarring which is acne itself. If you have oily skin, then you’re no stranger to this unwanted appearance on your face. Here are the benefits of serum for oily skin
- A great serum to incorporate to your skincare routine if you’re tackling pimples is one that calms skin, reduces irritation and inflammation. So, go for a gentle serum like the Simple Booster Serum - 10% Hemp seed oil + B3.
- Also, using a niacinamide-based serum as a moisturizer during the day is a great alternative to cream-based moisturizers during hotter months as it keeps the skin nourished without the heavy greasy feel.
Serums that quench your skin and restores hydration
Skin feeling dry and dehydrated? It’s time to lock-in that much needed hydration! We have two words – Hyaluronic acid. This humectant is hailed as a favourite ingredient by many skincare enthusiasts.
Pairing something like the Simple Booster Serum - 3% Hyaluronic Acid + B5 with a thick moisturizer ensures maximum moisture and hydration. Gently massage a few drops of the hyaluronic acid serum on damp face. Once your skin fully drinks it, finish it off with a thick moisturizer like the Simple Kind to Skin Replenishing Rich Moisturiser.
Some additional benefits of serums
- If your body skin is feeling dull, mix in a few drops of niacinamide or Vitamin C serum to your body lotion.
- Cold weather conditions leaving your body skin dry? Once you step out of the shower, on damp body skin, apply a mixture of a rich body butter paired with a few drops of hyaluronic acid serum.
- Want a quick fix for dry, frizzy hair? Spray the shafts of your hair with some water, dab some hyaluronic acid serum and seal it with a few drops of hair oil or hair serum.
So, which face serum are you going to try first?